College Readiness Program Guidelines
The Dell Scholars Program is available to students participating in approved college readiness programs. If your school/area has a program that you believe meet the criteria below, please submit the informational request for your program to be reviewed for inclusion in the Dell Scholars Program.
College readiness program requirements for inclusion in the Dell Scholars Program:
- Reaches students in the academic middle, underserved populations, or first generation college students
- Academic preparation through rigorous coursework, AP courses, IB programs, dual enrollment, college admissions preparation, academic workshops, and meetings to improve students’ academic readiness for college
- Financial preparation through completion of the FAFSA, financial aid education, application assistance
- Philosophy of not relying on the “numbers” but rather a focus on non-cognitive evaluation
- Personal preparation of student for college through mentoring/advising
- Begins working with students no later than junior year
- Meetings/programs with students and advisors no less than monthly during school year
- Sufficient data indicating success of program
- Ability to be replicated at other schools/locations
Acceptance of college readiness programs into the Dell Scholars Program is at the sole discretion of the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation. For more information, please send us an email.
Approved College Readiness Programs
The Dell Scholars Program works with college readiness programs who prepare students with demonstrated financial need for college. Several studies have shown that completing rigorous academic curriculums in high school and providing students opportunities to learn about colleges, financial aid, and campus life helps students overcome socioeconomic disadvantages. Preparing more completely for college in high school tends to result in increased college completion rates.
NOTE: College Readiness Programs may have similar names or only operate in certain geographies. Please read a full description of each college readiness program to ensure your program is on the approved list. You can see a brief description of the program by placing your mouse over the program name. Clicking on the program name will direct you to the program’s website where you can read more details.
Programs currently approved to participate in the Dell Scholars Program
- Alliance College-Ready Public Schools
- AP Strategies
- Bottom Line
- Breakthrough Austin
- College Forward
- Cristo Rey Network
- Fulfillment Fund
- GEAR UP
- Genesys Works
- Green Dot Public Schools