What is Dell Scholars?
Dell Scholars is a scholarship and college-completion program that nurtures and empowers students on their path to a college degree. Since starting the program in 2004, the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation has supported more than 4,800 scholars, including more than 2,000 college graduates.
When does the application open? When is the deadline to apply?
- October 1, 2019: Application opens
- December 1, 2019: Application deadline
- December 10, 2019: Semifinalists announced
- January 29, 2020: Semifinalist materials due
- March 6, 2020: Dell scholars announced
How do I apply?
Completing the online application is the first step to becoming a Dell Scholar. Once submitted, all applications will be assessed, and a group of Dell Scholar semifinalists will be selected. Semifinalists are asked to submit a current copy of their high school transcript, a complete Student Aid Report (SAR) from their FAFSA, and an online recommendation. After the semifinalist information is submitted, all information is reviewed by an independent selection committee.
What are the eligibility requirements?
The Dell Scholars program places greater emphasis on your determination to succeed than your academic record and test scores. We strongly believe being adequately prepared for college also empowers you to achieve your dreams.
Applicant criteria and requirements include:
- U.S. citizenship
- Participating in a Dell Scholars approved college readiness program in grades 11 and 12
- Graduating from an accredited high school this academic year
- Earning a minimum of a 2.4 GPA
- Eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant in first year of college
- Planning to enroll full-time in a bachelor’s degree program at an accredited higher education institution in the fall directly after your graduation from high school
What kind of support do Dell Scholars receive?
Our program includes a support network made up of students, peer mentors, and the Dell Scholars staff to help our scholars succeed. Our financial award is very flexible, so scholars can use their award money for the many costs that arise during their college career. We are constantly evolving our program to serve our scholars all the way to college graduation.
The Dell Scholars program offers:
- A $20,000 scholarship
- Personalized, multifaceted support for the academic, financial, and emotional life challenges that may prevent students from completing college
- A laptop with 4-year warranty
- Chegg credits which can be used for tutoring, textbook support as well as textbook purchases and rentals
- A Scholars Resource Network that connects students and their families with resources to deal with stress, debt, managing childcare, and life circumstances
What can the scholarship be used for?
In addition to funding tuition, fees, and full cost of attendance for undergraduate study, in certain cases, scholarship funds can be used to support:
- Graduate school
- Loan repayment
- Study abroad
- Internship stipends
What is Scholar Snapp?
Scholar Snapp allows you to reuse your information from one college and/or scholarship application to another – saving you time. Rather than reentering the same information over and over, fill out one application and simply import it, or “snapp” it, to their Scholar Snapp profile, saving all that hard work for next time. For more information, visit www.scholarsnapp.org.